Can skincare help with better sleep?
Getting enough sleep is very important for both your physical and emotional health. Our needs may be different. Some people may regenerate faster than others. Observe your body, you will find out what is your optimal sleeping time.
Buddhists say you don’t control when you are going to fall asleep. You can only wait until sleep comes. You have an impact on the quality of your sleep though.
How to improve your sleep?
- Make your bedroom comfortable: aired, quiet, not too warm (a cooler bedroom promotes better sleep.)
- If possible go to bed at the same time every evening – a consistent sleep routine helps falling asleep.
- Do not eat or drink alcohol or coffee shortly before sleep. The last meal should be about 3 hours before going to bed. Alcohol may help you fall asleep, but the quality of your sleep will be worse.
- Get off electronics one hour before bed time. Studies show two or more hours of screen time in the evening can seriously disrupt the melatonin surge needed to fall asleep.
- It’s wise not to sleep with your smartphone next to your bed. We are in a nearly constant cloud of wireless signals. It can affect our deep sleep or cause headaches.
- Go for a walk – 20 min in the evening. You’ll get some oxygen while walking and clear your head after a busy day. Walking also syncs two hemispheres of our brain which help us learn, focus and perform. (more information in a book: “Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All in Your Head”, Dr. Hannaford).
- Have happy thoughts when going to bed. We tend to think about our troubles and stressful moments from our day. Therefore, intentionally let’s think or even write down three beautiful moments from the day. If you fall asleep with a beautiful thought your sleep will be better.
How can essential oils help with better sleep?
Essential oils are plant oils that contain the aroma but also the healing powers of the plant. Lavender, Chamomile and Rose oils are being used for relaxation purposes. Most of us have heard of Lavender being dropped on your pillow to aid sleep or burning Lavender in a room to relax in the evening. Some of you may have drunk Chamomile tea in the evening to help wind down. Rose also is known to be very soothing and you may have enjoyed Chamomile and Rose tea. Maybe you place a little bowl of water with 4 or 5 drops of essential oil on your warm radiator.
For anyone looking for a natural holistic approach to relaxation and sleep, you can approach it even through your skincare and combine it with other natural treatments.
Lavender, Chamomile and Rose are the inspiration for our Holos Good Night range. Any of below ideas will help you relax and fall asleep.
- A night time bath followed by massaging Good Night Body Oil into your skin is just bliss and sets you up for a relaxing night’s sleep.
- If you have no time for a massage add a few drops of Good Night Body Oil to your bath.
- Massage your feet with the oil and leave it on. Wear cotton socks for better absorption (and keeping bed linen clean)
- Use Good Night Body Oil as an overnight face masque.
- Dry, dehydrated skin enjoys the effects of Good Night Rich Night Cream but you also get the benefits of the essential oils that help lull you to sleep.
- If the Good Night Cream is too rich for you, massage only the temples and/or forehead with the cream.
- Good Night Rich Night Cream is a beautiful hand moisturizer. You still benefit from calming properties.
For those of you who find Lavender scent too strong, try the Love Your Skin range instead. Mild scent of Rose, Frankincense and Benzoin have relaxing properties and may help with muscle aches and tensions.
We have good news for those who lost their smell because of Covid. You may not smell it buy if you apply them on your skin it works. Essential oils penetrate our blood stream and impact our mood.
Sweet dreams 🦋